Saturday, March 18, 2006

'Time of the Season' for a Live Album

I have to admit my skepticism when I found this new Dave Matthews Band cd/dvd combo sitting on the shelf of the Champaign Public Library early last week. The newest double cd and single dvd live release "Weekend on the Rocks" from the touring juggernaut Dave Matthews Band spans a 4-day-weekend in September 2005 (Sept. 9-12) at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, CO.

The reason for my initial skepticism is because the 1997 release of "Dave Matthews Band: Live at Red Rocks" from August of 1995 is still my favorite live Dave albums. Even though it did not include many of the outstanding songs he now performs, the fluidity of the album and the mood that it brought were both absolutely amazing. I felt this album needed to be amazing or I wouldn't like it.

I was not disappointed with this album, but I do have to say it's not as good as the first. I wasn't disappointed because this album was good in it's own way. My bias of live albums may have gotten the best of me in this situation, but the performances on this album leave a lasting impression.

The album begins with a version of "The Stone" that slowly turns into the crowd's rendition of "(Can't Help) Falling In Love With You." As far as I can tell, someone in the crowd just started singing the song and people around him or her must have just joined in. It really confused me the first couple of times I listened to it. I know Dave covers it occasionally, but just can't figure out what exactly was going on. There's really only 3 other significant parts on this first disc. The first being the deep dark vocals on "American Baby." It's almost haunting to listen to and makes a much better song than the studio album.

I loved the next track of "Time of the Season" by The Zombies. Definitely a great added track and something a little different for hardcore Dave fans. Finally, Dave ends this album with an extended version of "Bartender." I'm not sure how I feel about this song. I love the length and improvisation of the song, but I also like the original lyrics. This one seemed a little repetitive to me.

All other tracks didn't have anything remarkable to comment on except that I would have left off the 5 minute instrumental of "#34." All in all this first cd wasn't impressive and seemed very calm.

The second disc however, makes up the mediocrity of the first. "Don't Burn the Pig," is a great song to start off the disc and if I'm correct I believe started off the set of the third day at Red Rocks.

The drums on this second album were fantastic. This disc audibly explains why Carter Beauford is a percussion god. The beginning of "You Never Know" sounds beautiful and he continues the rhythmic onslaught in the rest of this disc. I'm not sure if the album arrangers meant to do this or not, but it almost seems like the second album is a much more exciting and upbeat album than the first. You can always tell when the band is having fun through Beauford's timing.

"Smooth Rider" is another good song for the second album. This, along with "Don't Burn the Pig" is the first time I've ever heard them do these songs. Some may feel the 15-minute "#41" may have been a little too long, however I disagree. I really enjoyed this track.

"Louisianna Bayou" and "Everyday" close out this album. Both of these were two of my favorites off their respective albums and thought they were nicely done. I'm not sure if I would have used them to wrap up a live album though. A live album should be treated like a live show. Think encore. I would have settled for an awesome version of "Ants Marching" or one of the other encores from weekend.

One thing showing who this album is targeted for is the lack of songs like "Crash." This album is not intended to sell to a mass audience. It's mostly targeted Dave heads and live show efficianados. Just one more reason for me to like it. The overall sound quality from the show is amazing except for the crowd involvement. Hard to hear or understand what's going on in the crowd sometimes and at the same time it keeps from hearing too much crowd noise. Had it not been for the mellow first disc I could have listed this as a 4 to 4.25 out 5, but I can only give it a 3.75 out of 5.

Definitely not bad for $21.99 at Amazon.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home