Friday, March 17, 2006

Though it's not Monday it's time to pick my "Throwback of the Week." This week's "Throwback of the Week" goes to Van Morrison's "And It Stoned Me." With my computer on random play last night I was listening to this and forgot I even had any good Van Morrison on my computer. Morrison's opening track on his heralded 1970 sophomore album "Moondance," is just the beginning to Van Morrison's beautiful collaboration. There's no real significant thing to point out in this song that you can find yourself.

This song is not about actually being stoned as some people may have you believe. The song, according to The Van Morrison Website (unofficial), is about "being stoned" on nature. The song is actually Van's childhood fishing and swimming days. As far as can be seen it kind of picks apart one particular day where he and his friend asked a local man for some water and being as thirsty as they were "It Stoned" him. He also references the late great jazz pianist Jelly Roll Morton in the piece. Morton, considered the first great jazz composer, must be considered a great influence to Van as he later references the musician in two other songs, "On Hynford Street" and "The Healing Game."

So there's you're very first "Throwback of the Week." A new one to come on Monday so this is technically you're "Throwback of the Weekend." I will have the first installment of cd reviews this coming weekend. My first review will be the newest live Red Rocks album from Dave Matthews Band. As soon as I've listened a few more times I'll get the review in. Possibly even tonight.

Enjoy, and have a great St. Patrick's Day you Irish bums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home